In September, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials announced the Top 12 finalists vying for the 2023 America’s Transportation Awards. These 12 state DOTs, and their projects, received the highest scores during the regional competitions earlier this year. The finalists will compete for the Grand Prize and the People’s Choice Award. Each of these honors include a cash prize of $10,000 that is given to the winners’ charity or transportation scholarship of choice.
AASHTO Executive Director Jim Tymon explains, “These vital projects deliver a range of benefits for their communities—whether providing emergency services during natural disasters, adding mobility options such as transit and active transportation infrastructure, or working with partners to address larger societal issues like homelessness. These Top 12 projects and initiatives showcase how state DOTs are building more equitable, resilient, and multimodal infrastructure for our communities.”
The finalists include:
- Florida Department of Transportation’s Hurricane Ian Sanibel Island Emergency Access
- Georgia Department of Transportation’s Historic 5th Street Pedestrian Bridge Rehabilitation Project
- Illinois Department of Transportation’s Jane Byrne Interchange
- Iowa Department of Transportation’s Adult Changing Facilities in Iowa Rest Areas
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Mayfield Tornado Response
- Maine Department of Transportation’s The Veranda Plan
- North Carolina Department of Transportation’s Flood Warning System
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s Emergency Fern Hollow Bridge Replacement Project
- South Dakota Department of Transportation’s U.S. Highway 83 Corridor Improvements and Reconstruction
- Texas Department of Transportation’s Mobility35 Initiative to Address Homelessness (IAH) Program
- Utah Department of Transportation’s Teamed-Up for Transit: UDOT and UTA Partner to Improve Mobility for Local Community
- Vermont Agency of Transportation’s Lamoille Valley Rail Trail
The deadline to vote for the People’s Choice Award is 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 14. AASHTO will announce the winners during their annual meeting on November 15th. For more information and to vote, click here.